Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Introduction to My Travel Blogs

Moon over magnificent Luxor Temple, Egypt
I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.”
Mary Anne Rachmacher

Moon over the Parroquia, San Miguel de Allende, MX
It's amazing where live takes you if you take life as it comes. That was one of my favorite sayings when I lived in Ukraine as a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV). This collection of blogs covers my travel adventures in different places from 2009, when I started blogging in Chernigov (fran-ukrainian-adventures), to 2017, when I continued blogging from Sylvania, Ohio (www.lifeafterpeacecorps and www.lifeafterall).

Living in Ukraine for two years was a travel adventure every day. There was so much to see and discover, everything new and exciting, intense and thrilling, that I was moved to write about it. Once I started writing I couldn't stop. Nor could I escape an eastern European worldview that changed me. 

I don't consider myself a world traveler, but I've been to some fascinating places in the US and abroad. Travel is anyplace you go away from where you happen to be living. Whenever you go away from home, you are an explorer. “Only one who wanders finds new paths,” as a Norwegian proverb says. I have loved and savor my wanderings. I have been fortunate to fine new paths.

I had traveled some before blogging, enduring memories in my mind, in journals, in photos, still fresh, still moving. There were amazing trips to Australia and New Zealand (my kids remember these special times), to India (astounding), to and around London, Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Venice, Florence and western Europe. San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, remains a favorite R&R spot. I treasure a trip to Costa Rica with my brother Loren. One late night in Arenal, over the volcano, we saw a full moon and jumped for joy. We travelled together the Southwest, Grand Canyon and Utah, upstate New York, New England, North Carolina, from one end of Florida to the other, and lots of beautiful towns and sites along the East coast. My sister Andy covered the same ground. In our glory.

When I was directing NEH state programs in DC and Florida, I loved going to regional and national meetings in cities across America. Often I'd take a few days at the beginning or end to do some exploring. When we met in Portland, I traveled along the awesome Oregon coast. When in Phoenix, Arizona, I drove up to the Grand Canyon and Sedona. Salt Lake City opened up new vistas, and San Antonio, Texas, provided history and fun along the Rio Grande river. A meeting in Jackson, Mississippi, affirmed the pioneering role of that state council in addressing race relations, and another in Nashville featured the Southern Festival of Books and a talk on the environment by Al Gore. One meeting took place in Sitka, Alaska, from which one could almost see Russia, and certainly the Russian heritage, as well as the indigenous heritage of Alaska. It meant a side trip to Seattle, too.  The US will always beckon, maybe a train trip across the country and visits to more of our beautiful National Parks.

Ukraine was the travel adventure of a lifetime.Transformative. I travelled mostly by train across and around the country, east and west of the Dnieper River, north to Kiev and Chernigov, west to Lviv, Slavsky, Uzegorod, Mukacheva and the Carpathians, south to Crimea, lovely Crimea. There were also wonder-filled trips to cities in eastern Europe and south to Turkey and Egypt. 

When I returned to the States, and immediately moved from St. Petersburg, Florida to Sylvania, Ohio, to be closer to Elissa and Michelle and my grand- children, a new life chapter began. I returned to the place I had left in 1985. I came full circle. Closing this circle has been an adventure in itself, emotionally, geographically,  spiritually, in every way, this return to where I started as a young mother working on finishing her PhD.

Full Harvest moon over Amsterdam,
October 5, 2017
My latest trips abroad have been special.  To Barcelona and the Italian and French Rivieras, including a visit to Monaco and to Cinque Terra and Tuscany. I went to Sicily with my sister Andy, a  heritage tour filled with special meaning. To Ireland with daughter Elissa, around the Circle of Kerry. And recently, I went to Amsterdam and Cologne with granddaughter Alli.  What precious trips, what memories!

"Life takes you to unexpected places. Love brings you home."  I'll continue to travel as long as I am able, to explore, to wander. Then I will return home, and be content.  



No comments:

Post a Comment